Dualtron Thunder Review
The Dualtron Thunder is an iconic electric scooter, fast, light, agile and sporty, but, most importantly – very well built and reliable. If doing 50 mph (80 km/h) whilst close to the ground sounds exciting, read on.
The Dualtron Thunder is an exceptional scooter and is one of the iconic scooters in the Minimotors line up. The thunder cemented Dualtron’s reputation and is one of their most popular selling scooters to date.
It’s fast, agile and relatively light, it remains portable yet robust and sturdy enough for on and off road fun.
It has the perfect combination of speed and power to make it a good all rounder, whether doing a commute or hitting the fields, the thunder won’t let you down.
Dualtron Thunder Electric Scooter – The Lowdown…
The Dualtron Thunder electric scooter is a big boy electrics scooter; that’s for certain. If you are looking for an average electric scooter to help you with your commute to work on crowded city streets, this might not be the scooter for you and there are certainly better electric scooters out there for you.
If you’re looking for power and speed then keep reading, because the Dualtron Thunder has a heaping amount of both. To put it plainly, this electric scooter rides like a high-performance scooter on steroids. Every time you think the Thunder has hit its top speed, it somehow surprises you and continues to accelerate to reach a new top speed.
While we were testing it, the Dualtron Thunder was able to hit top speeds that are usually reserved for motorcycles. It really is a beast of an electric scooter and one of the most powerful electric scooters we’ve had a chance to get our hands on.
If you’re all about high-performance and want to buy an electric scooter that offers a thrilling, an ultra high-speed riding experience, check out this Dualtron Thunder review to see why we think that this electric scooter might be the perfect one for you.
Dualtron Thunder Pros
Very fast with an acclaimed top speed of 50 mph / 80 km/h (we’ve had 55 mph / 88 km/h)
Very well built, solid frame and components, nothing feels flimsy
A range of 50 miles (80 km) thanks to its LG 35ah battery (2100 watt hours)
Customisable LED Stem Lighting with Multi-Function RGB
Very Portable, will fit in most cars when folded up
Customiseable Suspension Great Handling
The motor system on the Dualtron Thunder consists of two brushless DC electric dual hub motors. These have advantages over brushed motors, such as better torque, better reliability, less noise, and longer lifespans. As for power, it has a peak of 5400 watts and a nominal power of 2400 watts. What’s the difference? Nominal power is the continuous power, while peak power is the absolute max of the motor that’s sustainable for just a short period of time.
The electric scooter battery is 60 volts, 35 Ah, with LG 3500 cells. A cool thing about the Dualtron Thunder is that you have several charging options. There are dual charging ports, so if you just use one standard charger, it does take a long time to charge at around 20 hours from empty. If you use both ports, it takes around 10 hours, while there’s also a quick charge option that’s around 5.3 hours.
Times will vary, depending on how drained the battery is when you charge it. Be sure to only use the charger that comes with the electric scooter and charge in an area that’s dry, well-ventilated, and clear of anything that could catch on fire. As a lithium battery, certain safety instructions apply, so read the manual carefully when you first get your Dualtron Thunder.
As a high-end electric scooter, you get really impressive speed and range with the Dualtron Thunder. At max speed, it’s capable of getting up to 50 mph. In the United States, however, it’s limited to 15 mph via a speed limiting wire. MiniMotors USA (the official distributor of the Dualtron brand) does this in order to comply with insurance requirements and DOT regulations. Even if you stay at just 15 mph, that’s still a decent speed and all that’s needed in most areas.
The range is what’s really worth talking about. In ideal conditions, the Dualtron Thunder is able to travel 75 miles. The real world rarely reflects “ideal conditions,” however, and factors like weather, rider weight, and terrain have a significant impact on range. According to reviews, a more realistic range is around between 40-50 miles, but that’s still a really good distance. For going up slopes, the climbing grade is 47% or 25 degrees. It depends on rider weight and how charged the scooter is. In their manual, Dualtron does say to not use the scooter on steep slopes. You should also not speed up when going downhill, even if that sounds fun.
We weren’t kidding when we said Dualtron Thunder was a behemoth. The deck is a foot wide, which is really good for maintaining stability at high speeds. The frame and handle are made from aviation-grade aluminum alloy, and the shaft is steel.
Because of its sturdiness, this scooter is not lightweight. It weighs 95 pounds, so keep that in mind if you plan on hauling the scooter around anywhere. It can hold up to 265 pounds. The scooter does have a spring-loaded folding mechanism, so it’s easier to store. To use, pull up on two locking levels and push down on both handlebars.
Another cool construction feature is the 3-step variable suspension system. By changing the suspension module, you can get a different ride experience. The cartridges are rubber and depending on their firmness, the scooter rides differently. Lighter riders and riders in cooler climates will most likely like the softer cartridges better. The Dualtron Thunder comes with a medium elasticity by default, and you can choose to add extra cartridges.
What about the wheels? Those affect how a scooter rides, as well. The Thunder’s wheel assembly is removable, so servicing any punctures or flats is easier. The tubeless wheels measure 11 by 4 inches, so they can work off-road, though because they’re smooth, they’re meant for paved surfaces.
OFFICIAL DUALTRON/ MINIMOTORS UK DISTRIBUTER
Company details: E Scooter Professionals Ltd, trading as Dualtron Minimotors UK
Registered address: Ground Floor, Arena Court, Crown Lane, Maidenhead, SL6 8QZ.
Copyright © 2020 Dualtron Minimotors UK. All rights reserved.
- American Express
- Apple Pay
- Diners Club
- Google Pay
- Shop Pay
- Union Pay
Electric Scooters are not to be used on public roads, Cycle lanes or footpaths. It is the Customers complete responsibility to ensure that their E Scooter is used in accordance with all local and country laws. The customer when purchasing through Dualtron UK trading as E Scooter Professionals Ltd accepts and assumes all risk and liability associated to the use of an E Scooter and/or any other products purchased from Dualtron UK. The customer accepts full responsibility and waivers their rights to hold E Scooter Professionals Ltd trading as Dualtron UK or its owners from any liability caused in association, directly or indirectly with their use unless due to the negligence of the company or a defective product. Our Electric Scooters are not for the use of anyone under the age of 18.
E Scooter Professionals Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. E Scooter Professionals FCA registration number is 918440 and its address is Ground Floor, Arena Court, Crown Lane, Maidenhead, SL6 8QZ. E Scooter Professionals LTD acts as a credit broker not a lender and will only introduce you to Klarna AB (FRN: 536065). You may be able to obtain finance for your purchase from other lenders and you are encouraged to seek alternative quotations. If you would like to know how we handle complaints, please ask for a copy of our complaints handling process. You can also find information about referring a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) at financial-ombudsman.org.uk
What is so great about the Rion Curve?
The Rion Curve uses the same technology that Da Vinci medical surgery devices use. The Rion curve is so smooth because it has the exact precision needed to perform surgery with a robot.
Pair the Curve with the Tronic Controller and it gives you surgical precision and control while riding and eliminates any dead space you may feel with inferior throttle products.
You barely have to roll the curve less than a 1mm to feel crazy acceleration. Roll it back to acheive regenerative braking. It takes a while to get use to, but once you figure it out it’s a sublime experience!
Does the Dualtron Thunder Tronic have the normal Dualtron sound?
Dualtron scooters are known for producing an electrical buzzing sound out of a science fiction movie like Tron. The upgraded Dualtron Thunder Tronic has a unique sound that doesn’t sound anything like all the other Dualtrons and is much quieter than the original Thunder.
Tronic controllers use sine wave technology, while Minimotors use square wave technology.
Square wave controllers create a louder noise when accelerating. You can hear a Dualtron coming while the Thunder Tronic is stealthy.
Is the Dualtron Thunder Tronic stable at high speeds?
Yes, the Dualtron Thunder Tronic is stable at high speeds.
The Dualtron Thunder has been a classic super scooter since its release over three years ago. The Thunder is tried and true and is still a popular choice when looking at 11-inch tire scooters.
The Dualtron Thunder was already stable and when you add the Tronic controllers, it becomes even more stable.
The smooth acceleration curve and regen braking also help prevent the scooter from shaking at higher speeds.
Dualtron Thunder, High Performance Electric Scooter
The Thunder isn’t what you’d call a “first-time commuter” electric scooter. Not at all. No, you won’t be able to hoist this scooter into the trunk of your car effortlessly. She’s heavy. The Thunder has a large body, sturdy chassis, 5,400W dual hub motors, and a 2,060WH LG battery pack, weighing in at 95 pounds. The Thunder, by the way, reaches a top speed of 50 miles per hour in its highest settings.
Need help finding the right scooter? Check out the MiniMotors USA Dualtron Comparison Guide and Dualtron finder Quiz. Both of these apps will help you find the right Dualtron model for your needs.
- Dualtron Thunder is one of the fastest electric scooters in the market
- This scooter is large, heavy, and powerful, not for most beginner scooter riders
- The drivetrain is a solid upprade for advanced riders who want more power, speed, torque, and a quality chassis
- The Thunder’s chassis is built for off-roading and is the choice scooter for modders to build 72V to 100V custom builds
When it first came out, the Thunder was the fastest electric scooter in the world. Even though it’s no longer number one, the Thunder is still faster and stronger than 99 percent of electric scooters on the market. The Thunder’s 5,400W motors, 40 amp controllers, and 2,050WH battery pack give it the heart and muscle to keep your adrenaline pumping over and over again.
Dualtron Thunder Drivetrain– One of the fastest electric scooters in the world– Capable of 50 MPH and 5,400 watts for the thrill seekers
Check out MiniMotors USA, they have some of the best customer service and easy access of spare parts for maintenance.
For similar electric scooter options, check out the Best 72V Electric Scooters.
Whats the Thunders Top Speed Cruising Speed?
The Thunder was meant for experienced riders or learners who ride with caution at moderate speeds, as 5,400W is a lot of electric current for beginners. On an electric scooter, 50 mph is speedy; remember that you’ll need to max out your settings and have enough battery capacity to get there. For most people, we usually dial down the locations for neighborhood and bike lanes. Day-to-day cruising speeds range from 15–35 mph, depending on the person.
- Top Speed: 45-50 MPH
- Cruising Speed: 15-40 MPH
Dualtron Thunder Battery Pack
The battery pack is the heart of an electric scooter, while the motors are the muscles and the controllers are the brain! MiniMotors’ Dualtron battery packs only use high-quality battery cells and BMSs. The LG MJ1 lithium-ion cells that power the Dualtron Thunder are among the best in the industry, with significant current and stability. These cells are rated for 500 cycles, which means they might survive for almost 10,000 miles before showing signs of wear.
- Built with MJ1 cells, some of the best in the industry
- Dualtron battery packs are known for quality and high power
Dualtron Thunder Range
What does all of this indicate? The Thunder is made to last and can provide a range of up to 75 miles in low torque settings. The Thunder will generate anywhere from 30–40 miles of high-speed riding in both high-torque and high-speed environments. The Thunder’s real-world range varies depending on a few factors, but it’s usually between 30 and 75 miles.
- Low Speed Range: 50-75 miles
- High Speed Range: 30-45 miles
Dualtron Thunder Chassis
Consider whether the Thunder is one of the most attractive electric scooters on the market. The answer is yes, and not only that, but the chassis is strong, dependable, and designed for off-road riding. The Thunder’s chassis is made of aviation-grade aluminum alloy, steel, and hard plastic, and it’s ready to take a beating (though we don’t recommend it). It’s one of the most robust and modular chassis on the market, making it a modder’s dream to build 70 or even 90-MPH electric scooters on top of it.
- 4th Generation Dualtron chassis, one of the most advanced chassis in the market
- Favorite scooter for modding and going pas 70-90 MPH
- One of best designed and quality chassis, most other chassis look cheap and unfinished
Dualtron Thunder Key Features
- Cartridge suspension system – these allow you to control the suspension system for hard (high speed) and soft (off road) settings. You can also adjust height of the Thunder, essentially lower or raising the scooters height
- Modular Wheel Design – Tire changes should be easy, the Thunders modular wheel design makes changing 11×4 tubeless road tires relatively easy for most riders.
- EYE LCD Display – The EYE display is one of the most innovative displays on the market. It functions as a throttle, voltmeter, acceleration curve, battery performance, and controller for all of the Thunders essential functions and settings.
- Mood Lighting – The Thunder has some of the best LED lightings on the stem and under deck. This allows for more visibility and customizations of led colors while riding!
- Hydraulic Brakes – With all that torque and speed, the Thunder is equipped with Nutt hydraulic brakes, making stopping at high speed a breeze.
- Customizations – The Thunder is one of the most popular and heavily modded electric scooters in the market. Everything from the tires, handlebars, deck covers, to even the handle bar grips, the Thunder is customized to make each riders scooter their own. Check out the Dualtron Owners Guide for inspiration.
- Riding Experience: Firm suspension and large tires for high speed and smoothing out bumps and gravel
- Comfort: large deck for foot space and comfort, and heavy chassis for stability at high speed
- Stopping Power: Solid hydraulic brake and 160mm rotor combo for high speed and low speed
- Technology: High end throttle/display for customizing acceleration, battery performance and ride info
- Maintenance: Doable, easy to maintain, once you purchase the tools and watch how to videos.
- Check out the Dualtron Owners Guide for more maintenance information.
Why the Thunder isn’t right for you
The Thunder is a massive, heavy, strong, and costly beast. If you don’t agree with any of these qualities, then the Thunder isn’t for you. Instead, I’d go for a smaller, less powerful, lighter scooter.
Why you would want the Thunder
The Thunder is for you if you desire power, comfort, speed, and stability, and one of the most popular and attractive 50 MPH electric scooters on the market. The Thunder will deliver size, performance, speed, and range for 3,700. For that money, you could purchase a used car (albeit a run-down one), but how much fun would it be to ride a beat-up, run-down Toyota Camry against a brand-new 50 MPH electric scooter? MiniMotors USA offers same-day or next-day shipping, so you’ll get your Thunder in no time.
Warranty and Customer Service
Dualtrons are fantastic right out of the box. To start riding, fill the tires, inspect the bolts and locks, and dispose of the box and packaging materials. Before going on your scooter adventures, ensure your battery is at least 70% charged! MiniMotors USA offers a 6-month scooter components guarantee and a 12-month battery pack warranty. Suppose you have any problems with your Dualtron. In that case, the guys at MiniMotors have a reputation for excellent customer service and will walk you through any issues or send replacement parts if necessary.
Dualtron Thunder Electric Scooter Specs
- Motor: MAX 5,400 watt BLDC dual hub motor
- Battery: 60 volt – 35 Ah – 2,060Wh – LG 3500 cells
- Charge time: 20 hours with standard charger, 10 hours with 2 standard chargers, 5.3 hours with the quick charger
- Max mileage: 75 miles (mileage may vary depending on rider weight and road conditions)
- Max Speed: 50 mph
- Climbing Grade: 47% or 25 degrees depending on rider weight and state of charge
- Braking System: Hydraulic brakes with ABS standard and 160mm disks
- Max Load: 265 lbs
- Scooter Weight: 95 lbs
- Product Material: Frame and Handle are aviation grade 6082-T6 aluminum alloy, the shaft is SCM440 steel, and plastic covers
See also MiniMotors 72V 40AH Dualtron Thunder 3 will incorporate an upgraded folding stem, an EY4 display, and other features.
Dualtron Electric Scooters: What You Need to Know
Here are some of the main reasons why MiniMotors USA customers choose Dualtron scooters:
- Powerful – MiniMotors is the frontrunner of high-performance dual-motor electric scooters. Motors, controllers, and batteries from Dualtron are among the strongest available.
- Build Quality – When it comes to quality, MiniMotors has a solid track record of producing scooters with cutting-edge electronics that are easy to maintain and cost-effective for the average rider to own.
- Easy Maintenance – Scooters, in comparison to automobiles, are a fun, powerful, and low-maintenance mode of transportation. Brake and tire service are two of the most common maintenance items.
- Spare Parts – All MiniMotors scooters have a large selection of spare parts available, you can order or get any part you need for your vehicle’s upkeep. Check out MiniMotors USA for more information.
- Customer Service – MiniMotors USA’s customer service team is available by phone and email to answer questions about maintenance, repairs, and accessory suggestions. The quality of MiniMotors USA’s service and products is well-known.
- Dualtron Eagle Pro Flat Tire Tube Change
- Dualtron Eagle Pro Review
- Eliminate High Speed Wobble With Dualtron Speed Damper by BPM
- First Dualtron Storm Video Live on YouTube
- Dualtron Mini Top Speed Test by VROOOMIN
- MiniMotors Dualtron Black Friday Cyber Monday Deals
- Essential Tools to Maintain Dualtron Scooters
- MiniMotors Dualtron Cyber Monday Deals
- Dualtron Eagle Pro Owner’s Manual
- Owner’s Manual for Dualtron Storm
- Review of the Dualtron Ultra 2: Is it worth 4000?
- Dualtron Owners Guide: Maintenance Tips, Parts, Aftermarket Upgrades Vendors
- Aron Gabor made the Hungarian Thunder, an electric scooter with a top speed of 125 km/h (77 mph).
- How to Change the Tires on an Electric Scooter Dualtron Ultra 2
- Top 50 MPH Sports Electric Scooters
- The Dualtron Thunder 2 is coming, 72V 40AH 10KW
- The Dualtron Storm Limited Electric Scooter Offers 70 MPH and 11.5KW of Raw Performance
- Dualtron Achilleus and Dualtron Spider 2, Everything We Know So Far
- Review of MiniMotor’s Dualtron City Electric Scooter
- MiniMotors ups the ante with 21700-Cell Electric Scooters: Dualtron X 2 UP, Dualtron Ultra 2 UP, and Dualtron Storm UP
- Dualtron X2 Electric Scooter, Maximum Speed of 58 MPH Video
- Dualtron Colombia is at the Forefront of the Electric Vehicle Revolution.
- MiniMotors USA Introduces the 2022 Dualtron Mini Electric Scooter
- The 72V Teverun Fighter Supreme, 8KW Sports Electric Scooter
- MiniMotors USA launches Blade X, 40 MPH Sports Electric Scooter
Disclaimer: The information presented in this article is derived from extensive research, user reviews, and publicly available information. Our aim is to provide accurate and up-to-date content; however, it is crucial to understand that the opinions expressed are based on the information available at the time of writing. We strongly encourage readers to conduct their own thorough research and carefully evaluate their individual needs before making any purchasing decisions.
34 MPH 37 Miles 66 LBS. 450,299
Save 50 with Code VROOOMIN
50 MPH 50 Miles 114 LBS. 5000,895
Save 50 w/ Coupon Code: VROOOMIN
50 MPH 60V 20.8AH 86 LBS. 450,709
Voro Motors: Save 50 with code VROOOMIN
33 MPH 56 Miles 52 LBS. 450,399
62 MPH 105 Miles 105 LBS. 4,299
Voro Motors: Save 50 with code VROOOMIN